One of the qualities of love is a sense of expansion, an experience of expanding outwards and overflowing with something bigger and better than ourselves; where our boundaries are not fixed, where we are more reachable, more permeable; where we are more able to deeply relate to another being.
This exercises is a modern version of some ancient meditations. It has no particular affiliation to any of the religions or New Age teachings. It can be used by just about anyone without any conflict with your faith or beliefs. It is very interesting to see what happens. It takes only a few minutes.
1. Find a quite place you know you will not be disturbed for at least 30 minutes. Sit down where you are comfortable. Let your arms be loose by your side. Take a couple of deep breaths right down into your belly, breathing in fully and exhaling. Do this a few times until you feel fully relaxed.
2. Now, imagine a particular person you wish to send love to. You could also imagine the whole world or all humanity but begin by making it personal. As you breath in take that person into your chest. Hold your breath for a while and just allow your love for that person to fill your chest. The goal is to take him or her into your heart, and love him or her deeply.
3. Then as you breath out, send forth all the love you can master from your heart and soul. Don't hurry the breath, don't slow it down either, let it just be. If you want you can imagine a warm glow or light surrounding them as you send them love. Just remember that sending or giving love is about the other person and not about you or what they can give or do for you.
4. Close your eyes and pose for a second. Rest within yourself, see what's happening. Then do it a second time. Repeat breathing in that person and breathing him or her out. As you inhale breath them into your heart, as you exhale send them love.
5. Once you've learned how to send love without expecting anything back in return, then you can start receiving it. As you breath in, feel yourself receiving love, being filled with it, surrounded by it, bathed in it, healed by it, moved by it and empowered by it. Don't try to think about it, just feel it.
6. You can also add a physical dimension to the receiving of love. As you breath in let your chest rise and open your fists and feel love coming to you, and you receiving it.
Sometimes as you send out love you'll feel your chest detach itself from your body and something powerful leaving your heart and body. Other times, you will feel love leave your heart and then come right back into it. Don't be discouraged and don't give up. Keep giving and sending it. If anything comes to mind, take a few minutes to reflect upon it and then breath it out before you get back to sending and receiving love.
At a later time when you have mastered giving and receiving love from individuals you already like or feel very close to, start sending love to even those people that you don't feel like acting lovingly toward. When you do this, you are raising your vibration from one of anger, fear or pain to one of love. You can also send and receive love from all humanity -- and the world.
I also use this raising love vibration exercise when I enter a room. I breath in as I tell myself "everyone in this room loves me" and breathe out with "and I love everyone in this room". Its amazing how this makes me feel and how my attitude changes however bad things were prior to me sending and receiving love. But even more amazing is the response from those in the room. Try it for yourself.